What Can Dogs Eat From Thanksgiving Dinner

By diets4dogs on
What Can Dogs Eat From Thanksgiving Dinner

What Can Dogs Eat From Thanksgiving Dinner

Dogs can safely enjoy plain, cooked turkey, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, green beans, peas, and carrots from a Thanksgiving dinner. Ensure that these foods are unseasoned, unsalted, and free from additives like onions, garlic, and any other potentially harmful ingredients. Avoid offering bones, gravy, stuffing, desserts, and highly seasoned dishes as they can pose health risks to your dog.

What Can Dogs Eat From Thanksgiving Dinner

1. Safely Sharing the Turkey with Your Pooch

As the centerpiece of the Thanksgiving feast, turkey can be a great protein source for your dog. However, when giving your dog turkey, make sure it is plain, cooked, and unseasoned. Remove any skin, excess fat, and bones, as these can lead to gastrointestinal issues or other complications. Small, boneless pieces of white meat are best for your furry friend.

2. Vegetables for Your Dog’s Health

Several vegetables commonly found in Thanksgiving dinners can also be safely shared with your dog. Sweet potatoes, pumpkin, green beans, peas, and carrots are all good choices. Make sure to serve them plain, without any seasonings, butter, or added sugar. These vegetables can often be mixed with some dog food to create an extra special Thanksgiving meal for your pup.

3. Sides to Avoid: Stuffing, Cranberry Sauce, and More

It is important to know what not to share with your dog during the Thanksgiving holiday. Stuffing often contains onions, garlic, and herbs, which can be dangerous for your pet. Similarly, cranberry sauce is often packed with sugar, spices, and other ingredients harmful for dogs. Mashed potatoes made with dairy products and gravy containing excess fats and salt should be avoided too.

4. A Note on Dessert: Keep the Sweets Away

While it might be tempting to share a taste of dessert with your fur baby, it is best to avoid giving your dog any human sweets. Ingredients like chocolate, xylitol, raisins, and spices found in popular desserts can be extremely harmful to your dog’s health. Instead, consider providing your dog with a special dog-friendly treat or make your own dog-safe dessert!

Pet-Friendly Thanksgiving Feast Alternatives

Below are some dog-friendly alternatives that can be served alongside their regular dog food for a festive Thanksgiving experience for your four-legged companion.

1. Homemade Dog Treats

Consider making or purchasing dog-friendly treats, like pumpkin or sweet potato biscuits, to keep your dog happily entertained during the festivities. There are many online recipes to choose from that can cater to your dog’s specific diet or food preferences.

2. Flavors of the Season

One way to incorporate some Thanksgiving spirit into your dog’s food is to add mild, dog-safe seasonings, such as a pinch of cinnamon, to their meal. Mixing vegetables like pumpkin or sweet potatoes with their kibble can also provide your dog with seasonal flavors while keeping their meal balanced and healthy.

3. Celebratory Dog Toys

Another idea to make Thanksgiving special for your dog is to find a festive toy or treat-filled puzzle. This can be a fun and rewarding way to entertain your pet during dinnertime and ensure that they feel included in the celebrations.

Remember: Pet Safety First

Ensuring the safety of your dog during the Thanksgiving holiday is fundamental. While sharing parts of your Thanksgiving meal can be fun, always prioritize your dog’s health by being mindful of the ingredients you serve and properly supervising them throughout the celebration.

Healthy Snack Preparation for Your Pup

To make sure your dog can enjoy Thanksgiving dinner safely, try incorporating these tips to prepare their snacks and treats properly.

1. Cook Ingredients Properly

When preparing safe Thanksgiving snacks for your dog, always fully cook any meat or vegetables to ensure they are safe for your pet’s consumption. Raw or undercooked foods can contain harmful bacteria, which may cause digestive issues or infection.

2. Remove Unnecessary Additives

Remove any unnecessary additives like salt, sugar, butter, and spices from the Thanksgiving treats you plan to share with your pet. These ingredients can cause digestive issues or be harmful to your dog’s health. Stick to plain, unseasoned foods for a safer and healthier option.

Watching Out for Food-Related Hazards

Be aware of potential hazards associated with sharing Thanksgiving food with your dog, such as food contamination or choking risks.

1. Perform a Double-check

Always double-check the ingredients list of any dish before sharing it with your pet, as there might be hidden ingredients or additives that could be harmful. Remember, foods like chocolate, raisins, onions, and garlic are toxic to dogs and should never be given to them.

2. Avoid Bones and Choking Hazards

When sharing turkey or other meat dishes with your dog, carefully remove any bones, as they can splinter and cause choking or internal injury. Similarly, avoid giving nuts, small fruits, or other choking hazards to your pet.

3. Monitor Your Dog’s Behavior

As you share Thanksgiving treats with your dog, watch for any signs of adverse reactions or digestive issues. Symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, or lethargy may be an indication that your pet has consumed something they cannot tolerate. If you notice any such signs, consult your veterinarian immediately.

Serving Sizes and Portion Control

While it can be enjoyable to share Thanksgiving treats with your dog, remember to keep an eye on portion sizes to avoid overindulgence and health issues.

1. Stick to the 90-10 Rule

A general guideline is to have treats make up no more than 10% of your dog’s daily caloric intake. The remaining 90% should be balanced, nutritious dog food to ensure they receive the necessary nutrients for optimal health.

2. Watch for Weight Gain

Sharing treats with your pet can sometimes lead to weight gain, which may cause long-term health problems. Keep track of your dog’s weight and adjust their caloric intake appropriately if you notice any weight gain or loss.

Final Thoughts

Sharing the joy of Thanksgiving dinner with your dog can be a rewarding experience for both you and your furry friend. By carefully selecting the dishes you share, properly preparing their treats, and always prioritizing their safety and wellbeing, you can make Thanksgiving a fun and memorable holiday for the entire family, including your four-legged companion.

FAQ Section: Dog-safe Thanksgiving Dishes

Here are some common questions and answers related to sharing Thanksgiving dinner with your dog, focusing on safe food options, safety precautions, and alternatives to human foods.

1. Can dogs have small amounts of garlic or onion in their food?

No, dogs should not consume garlic or onion, even in small amounts, as they can be toxic to them. These ingredients can cause anemia and gastrointestinal issues, so avoid sharing dishes containing garlic, onion, or their derivatives with your pet.

2. Can dogs eat ham during Thanksgiving?

Feeding ham to dogs is not recommended. Ham is typically high in salt and fat, which may lead to pancreatitis, gastrointestinal issues, or other health problems in dogs. Instead, opt for leaner meats like plain, boneless turkey.

3. Are cranberries safe for dogs?

Cranberries are safe for dogs in small, plain quantities. However, it’s important to avoid giving your dog cranberry sauce or cranberry-based dishes, as these often contain added sugar, spices, or other unsafe ingredients for pets.

4. Can dogs safely consume mashed potatoes?

Dogs can eat plain, unseasoned mashed potatoes in moderation. However, avoid sharing mashed potatoes that contain butter, milk, sour cream, cheese, or seasonings, as these ingredients may cause digestive issues or be harmful to your dog.

5. Is it okay for dogs to eat bread or dinner rolls?

Plain, unseasoned bread or dinner rolls can be given to dogs in small, infrequent amounts. However, avoid feeding them bread with added ingredients like raisins, nuts, garlic, or onions, as these can be harmful to dogs.

6. Can dogs have pumpkin pie?

No, dogs should not eat pumpkin pie, as it typically contains sugar, spices, and dairy products that are not suitable for canine consumption. Instead, offer your dog plain, cooked pumpkin as a healthier alternative.

7. Can dogs drink milk or consume dairy products?

Many dogs are lactose intolerant, so it’s best to avoid giving them milk or dairy products. Consuming dairy products can lead to gastrointestinal issues such as diarrhea, vomiting, or gas in dogs.

8. Are holiday nuts safe for dogs?

Some nuts, like almonds, pecans, and walnuts, can pose health risks to dogs due to their high-fat content, leading to gastrointestinal issues or pancreatitis. In addition, nuts like macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs. It’s best to keep nuts and nut-based dishes out of your dog’s reach.

9. Can my dog eat fruit desserts like apple pie or fruitcake?

It’s best to avoid giving your dog fruit desserts like apple pie or fruitcake, as these typically contain added sugar, spices, nuts, or raisins that can be harmful to your pet. Offer plain, dog-safe fruits like sliced apples instead.

10. How much of the Thanksgiving meal can I share with my dog?

Follow the 90-10 rule, which suggests treats should make up no more than 10% of your dog’s daily caloric intake. The remaining 90% should consist of balanced, nutritious dog food. Be mindful of portion sizes when sharing your Thanksgiving meal to avoid overfeeding and digestive issues.

Like what you see? Share with a friend.